[Mediawiki-l] Extend linking syntax to include versions

Gregor Hagedorn g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 12:28:46 UTC 2009

We need to assign digital object identifiers to specific versions
(stable, flagged revisions) of an article page. To assign doi:10/xyz
we want to create that object in a custom doi namespace and then
redirect to a specific version of a page in the article namespace.
However, we could find no information how to address versions in
intra-wiki syntax (and redirects don't work with URLs).

If this is indeed so,

a) could a version syntax be added to mediawiki links?

[[Help_talk:Redirects/Version:262031]]

should then be equivalent to:

http://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Help_talk:Redirects&oldid=262031

b) could redirect be extended so it supports URLs?

Question to experienced programmers: which would be easier to
implement in an extension? Any clues or rough ideas we could work out
ourselves?

Gregor