[Mediawiki-l] Need some help

Matthew Gagnon mgagnon at newmediastrategies.net
Thu Jun 18 19:48:06 UTC 2009

Okay, I'm new to this list - so first of all, Hi! My name is Matt, and
I've used MediaWiki for quite some time now. I'm the definition of an
amateur though - I'm no web developer, I just happen to know enough to
function.

So, I need a little help, if any of you are able to offer it.

I'll make a long story short. I hosted (GoDaddy) a mediawiki site that I
loaded up probably 9 months to a year ago I think. Anyway, no problems
there, I used it, worked great, no issues.

Anyway, my credit card got stolen, and my hosting was up for the site I
hosted it at, and GoDaddy never sent me any notifications, and ended up
cancelling my hosting.

I got it restored yesterday, but when I did all of the old databases I
had before were gone, and what I had left was database backups. So
essentially I need to recreate a database for the wiki, and then import
in the backup into it.

Okay, so in any event - I just finished doing that, and unfortunately it
is not functioning. I get the following message:

Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.

Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.

(Can't contact the database server: Can't connect to MySQL server on
'p50mysql169.secureserver.net' (4) (p50mysql169.secureserver.net)

I am assuming that something with the database restore has made it
non-functional. My guess (again, total amateur) is perhaps the mediawiki
configuration files are referring to my old database's location, name,
and password (I re-created the exact same name, but am not 100% sure on
the password, and the location is certainly different). Do you guys
think that is the issue?

If so, how can I amend the configuration so that it will work properly?
Is there a file anywhere that explicitly spells out what database,
where, and with what password it should be accessed? If so I'm assuming
I can just change that? I know with wordpress its actually very simple,
its literally the wp-config file and it has the DB name and password and
location all right there.

Anyway, if that's it I would really appreciate some help getting it
functioning again... and if that's NOT it... I'd love to hear some
ideas.

Thanks a bunch everyone.

Matt