[Mediawiki-l] Purging *unused* user accounts

ccornell - OpenOffice.org ccornell at openoffice.org
Fri Jun 12 07:18:44 UTC 2009

We have been discussing purging unused user accounts on the
OpenOffice.org Wiki.

I can run the removeUnusedAccounts.php maintenanace script, and it will
happily remove all unused accounts (that have zero edits)... the patch
suggested on the Discussion page for
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:RemoveUnusedAccounts.php allows me
to set the age of unused accounts.

Is there any guideline that people use for how old an unused account
should be before it is removed?  Is it 10 days, 180 days, 365 days?

Does anyone change the query so that the script checks for unused
account that has not been logged into in X number of days? Is this possible?

The concern I am hearing from the OOo Community is that we may purge
accounts of Wiki users who have created an account, but not yet decided
to make an edit.  I'm wondering how other Wiki admins manage this...

C.
Clayton Cornell       ccornell at openoffice.org
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead
StarOffice - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Hamburg, Germany