[Mediawiki-l] Vertical Test in MediaWiki

Henry Hartley henry at dotrose.com
Tue Jun 9 18:16:24 UTC 2009

Platonides wrote:
> David Price wrote:
>>
>> Dear All, Is it possible to align text vertically in a Wiki or do
>> we need to create an image? Then can we flip the Image? or will the
>> text in the image already be flipped? Thanks David

> If you can do it with HTML, you almost always can do it in the wiki.
> If you can't do it in HTML, you probably can't do it in the wiki.
>
> MediaWiki doesn't automatically flip images.

I assume the OP wanted to rotate text so that it's baseline was vertical
instead of horizontal, rather than change the vertical alignment within
boxes. If that's the case, then the answer is "sort of." CSS 3.0 defines
Rotating Boxes but it will be a while before the spec is even finished,
much less supported widely.

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#rotating

If you only care about IE (you should care about other browsers, of
course), you can do something like this:

Or, if you really want to get fancy, you could write a script (or search
the web for one, I suspect they exist) that would take text as input and
produce an image with the text rotated in pretty much any way you want.
Integrating that with MediaWiki is left as an exercise for the reader.

--
Henry