[Mediawiki-l] configure mediawiki to host wikibooks

Jean Pierre Charalambos nakednous at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 21:02:33 UTC 2009

Dear all,

I'm completely new to mediawiki software and I even don't know if this
is the correct place to post my question (sorry if not).

We want to setup a wiki (based on mediawiki software) to host a
collection of books for an educational institution. We have just
succesfully installed mediawiki
(http://disi.unal.edu.co/wikiapuntes/index.php) and we thought it
would be better to configure it to look more than wikibooks than
wikipedia (which seems its default configuration), i.e., to configure
it to have the special structure http://en.wikibooks.org has (with
subject, books, modules, etc.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Help:Starting_a_new_page_or_book) rather
than a mere collection of articles.

I just don't know how to twick it: is it an extension? is it a
configuration option? Or is it simply the way pages are edited
(meaning that pages=articles=modules)? Or something else?

I have googled a lot without success; all the information that I got
regards the wikibooks site itself rather than how to set up it.

Any hint is really appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

--
Jean Pierre