[Mediawiki-l] Enhancement Suggestion for Extension:New User Email Notification

Jack D. Pond jack.pond at psitex.com
Sat Jul 25 01:54:56 UTC 2009

I don't know who is maintaining this extension since we lost robchurch, but
I thought I would post here for suggestions before making a change.

The original intent of the extension was to have customizable email
notifications sent when a new user creates an account. The recommended
modifications would allow the customization and extension of parameters that
are passed to the MediaWiki:Newusernotifbody message, and subsequently a far
more flexible message that is sent in the notification. In the example, I've
used a facilitated notification and approval process for users requesting
access to a wiki.

For full details, see:

<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:New_User_Email_Notification#En
hancement_Recommendation_-_Configurable_Message_parameters_--jdpond_01:31.2C
_25_July_2009_.28UTC.29>
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:New_User_Email_Notification#Enh
ancement_Recommendation_-_Configurable_Message_parameters_--jdpond_01:31.2C_
25_July_2009_.28UTC.29

The changes should be backwards and forward compatible with any site that
currently uses the extension, and the additional processing demands are
minimal if any.

New parameters to be passed to the MediaWiki:Newusernotifbody message would
be added in the LocalSettings, like this example:

require_once("$IP/extensions/NewUserNotif/NewUserNotif.php");
$wgNewUserNotifSenderParam[] = '$user->getEmail()';  // $7 email address
(example)

This change would also allow those of us who've used the existing extension
(by modifying the class directly), to have forward compatibility and not
have to hack at for upgrades.

Suggestions?  Approval?  Bad Idea?

Jack D. Pond

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so
few." -- Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill(1874-1965)