[Mediawiki-l] Backing up Subject:

Norbert Hoeller nhoeller at sinet.ca
Tue Jul 21 13:37:01 UTC 2009

Expanding on the advice to test the backups, I upgrade MediaWiki sites by:
 * renaming the current MediaWiki directory structure
 * restoring my most recent file backup to the existing directory
 * defining a new MySQL database and restoring my most recent mysqldump
 * updating the MediaWiki settings to point to the new database
 * verifying that MediaWiki is working
 * installing the upgrade and following the upgrade procedure

This allows me to verify that my backups are complete and also lets me
back out the upgrade quickly if problems arise.
        Regards, Norbert