[Mediawiki-l] Upgrading Mediawiki from version 1.5.6 to 1.15.0

Francois Piette francois.piette at overbyte.be
Mon Jul 6 12:38:23 UTC 2009

> I'm running MediaWiki version 1.5.6 and would like to
> upgrade to current version (1.15.0).
> What is the procedure to upgrade ? Is the database compatible ?
> What about configuration files ?

I've done the upgrade. It went smooth !
I already had the correct PHP en mySQL version.
The process of upgrading Mediawiki itself was quite simple. I just followed
the guideline stated with Mediawiki distribution. Thanks for the excellent
quality.

In short:
I saved all files I had changed. I had only done minor changes in the skins
to add Google adsense.
I saved localsettings, rename the wiki folder to some other name, unzipped
the new files in the wiki folder, reinstalled my local settings, applyed my
changes to the current source file (was easy) and finally ran the PHP script
to update the database. Everything worked flawlessly and I'm now up and
running again.

Well almost. All this has been done on a test system. This week I will do it
on the production environment.

Regards,
francois.piette at overbyte.be
http://www.overbyte.be