[Mediawiki-l] hiding mailto links from users who are not logged in

Christensen, Courtney ChristensenC at BATTELLE.ORG
Wed Jan 28 16:52:57 UTC 2009

Would you be comfortable writing an extension to MediaWiki?  I believe you could put the addresses in a custom tag that checked the user's rights before displaying the link.  If anonymous users were able to view wiki-text they could still see the email addresses, but I think you can turn that off and it's another non-standard step to keep them away.

-Courtney

-----Original Message-----
From: mediawiki-l-bounces at lists.wikimedia.org [mailto:mediawiki-l-bounces at lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Joel Uckelman
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:08 AM
To: mediawiki-l at lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: [Mediawiki-l] hiding mailto links from users who are not logged in

I'm migrating from a custom web site to MediaWiki a collection of pages which
contain information for various games, including player lists with contact
information (mostly email addresses). The old site only shows the email
addresses (as mailto links) when a user is loged in; if you browse to one
of these pages without being logged in, you see names only, without the
mailto links. The purpose of this is to hinder address harvesters, the
assumption being that they won't bother to get an account on our site.

Is there a way to do this with MediaWiki?

--
J.