[Mediawiki-l] installation help/advice

Robert D. Crawford robdcraw at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 02:06:14 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I want to install mediawiki on a site I manage.  I am pretty sure about
most of the steps but I really want to ask a few questions and get some
guidance before I break things.

As I understand it, there is only one mysql database on the site I can
use and it currently has a wordpress blog installation.

I have mediawiki-1.13.3.tar.gz downloaded to the server but not yet
unzipped.  I also have a sql dump from a old mediawiki install that
existed on another server.  I cannot tell the version of mediawiki
from the dump, as far as I can tell.  Perhaps someone can tell me
where to look.  I know it is old as it would be impossible for me to
install on the old server because of the php version (4.x).

The versions of php and mysql on the new server are as follows:

PHP 5.2.1 (cli) (built: Jul 23 2008 05:57:56)
Copyright (c) 1997-2007 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2007 Zend Technologies

mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.38, for pc-linux-gnu (i486) using readline 5.2

I am not certain, but as I mentioned before I believe I have to use
the one db I currently have.  Having only a little db experience, I
might be mistaken about databases and tables.  As I understand it, I
have one db and can create more tables in that db.

Here are the steps I know about concerning the install:

* unpack the tarball to

$HOME/public_html/<MediaWiki-folder>

then

chmod 755 $HOME/public_html/<MediaWiki-folder>/config

* run the browser-based script at

http://www.example.com/<MediaWiki-folder>/

* fill in the fields in the form

Database host: localhost
Database name: same as account name
DB username: same as account name
DB password: see host-details.txt on HDD
Superuser details: leave as-is
DB Table Prefix: <wikiname_>
DB Port: leave as-is
Schema: leave as-is
DB Character set: UTF-8

* Move files

mv LocalSettings.php $HOME/public_html/<MediaWiki-folder>/
chmod 600 LocalSettings.php

chown is unnecessary, I believe, since the creator/owner of the site
are the same person.  Am I wrong?

rm -rf config/

* restore old DB

This is really where I have some problems.  I know the commands
necessary to restore the db

mysql -p <dbname> < dump.sql

but the names of the tables and the db are not the same as they need
to be on the new installation.  Changing the name of the db in the
dump file should not b a problem as far as I can see, but the table
names could be problematic.  Will I have to do a search and replace of
the table names in the dump file to make them correspond to what I
need them to be e.g. <wikiname_><tablename>?  Considering this is a
75MB file with over 90K lines, surely there must be a better way.

Sorry this has been so long and thanks for reading this far.  Any more
information I'll be happy to provide.  Links to relevant documentation
is always appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                     robdcraw at gmail.com

Only a fool fights in a burning house.
		-- Kank the Klingon, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown