[Mediawiki-l] External Authentication trouble

Jim jimnl69 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 22 00:54:52 UTC 2009

"Platonides" wrote in message news:gl8b4e$t4$1 at ger.gmane.org...
> Jim wrote:
>> I'm trying to setup external authentication with MediaWiki.  I've gone
>> over
>> http://wiki.case.edu/CaseWiki:External_Authentication time and time again
>> but it's not exactly clear. Do I need to do only pieces of it?
>> Everything?
>> I'm just not following.  SO, I'm hoping someone can spell it out for me.
>

>> Let's say I have a PHP script (lets call it ourmethod.php) that puts up a
>> web page and authenticates a user using our method.  Exactly how do I get
>> MediaWiki to display ourmethod.php for the login
> You still use MediaWiki login to get the user and password.
> On http://wiki.case.edu/CaseWiki:External_Authentication they use
> mod_reqrite to send you to another page. You may be able to make
> Special:UserLogin more like ourmethod.php with some hook.
>
>> and what exactly do I need
>> to do to ourmethod.php to have it tell MediaWiki "this guys ok"?
>
> return true from the authenticate() method.

That's just it, I can't use the MediaWiki login to get the userid/pw.  I
need to be able to redirect to a page that uses it's own method of input for
that data.  Reading http://wiki.case.edu/CaseWiki:External_Authentication
makes it sound possible, but it reads as though they're covering multiple
methods and do a poor job of distinguishing which to-do's are for which
method.