[Mediawiki-l] Method to remove history of reverted revisions?

Jeff Lane jeffl at valvesoftware.com
Sat Jan 17 03:35:34 UTC 2009

Can anyone think of a method to completely remove edit revisions that have
been reverted from the database, or even just the revision history?

Before implementing spam prevention measures, we had a large number of edits
created by spam bots that flooded the revision history of a fairly large
number of pages. All of the edits were reverted (almost always by the very
next edit), but the revision history remains. In some cases, it's very large
and obscures the true authors of the page and makes diffs cumbersome.

I've seen the revision hiding option in MediaiWiki, but it isn't really
designed for what we need, because it makes the revision inaccessible, but
the entries are still logged in the history. And it's an edit-by-edit
process (which makes sense for its intended purpose).

I know we could wipe the edit history altogether, and we may end up doing
that on some pages, but ideally we could remove these "zero sum" edits and
the credits of the original edits would remain.

Ideas?

-Jeff