[Mediawiki-l] Adjusting Special:Search no match behaviour

Sam Joseph srjoseph at hawaii.edu
Sat Jan 10 07:42:02 UTC 2009

Hi there,

I just set up a mediawiki instance, and I wanted to modify the
Special:Search no match behaviour slightly.  I'd like to do the following:

1) check the title term for being a particular format, e.g. it is
exactly 13 digits (UPC barcode format)
2) if the title is not UPC format proceed as normal
3) if the title is UPC format, automatically create a page with default
contents and display that to the user

I think I know enough PHP to check the title term is a particular
format, but I am not sure how to create a page with particular default
contents.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'd be very interested in any pointers to tutorials or overviews of the
wikimedia source internals.

Ideally I'd like to avoid any coding, but I haven't yet seen a way to
set default contents for new pages or adjust search match behaviour by
setting parameters - if there is some way to do this I'd love to hear
about it..

Many thanks in advance
CHEERS> SAM