[Mediawiki-l] how long to make a good MW skin?

Christensen, Courtney ChristensenC at BATTELLE.ORG
Fri Jan 9 13:15:06 UTC 2009

Hi WikiMedians,

This question is for any of you who have developed a skin.  I imagine you are constantly tweaking your skins, but how long does it take you to make a workable one?  I recently had to make a skin from some images made by a graphic design shop.  I made it look great, just like the pictures, but I forgot a lot of the functional things, like the table padding my users were used to or the new class on links to non-existent pages.  I'm thinking skin development is a thankless job that requires attention to detail and more stamina and persistence than I seem to have.

So give me a yardstick.  How long does it take to develop a well-rounded skin on average?

Thanks!
Courtney Christensen