[Mediawiki-l] Upgrade under heavy traffic

Cameron cameronem at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 05:28:02 UTC 2009

I often put the database into read-only mode so that people can still access
the site while the upgrade is happening. Granted the MW site that I run
isn't "overly busy" it serves its purpose and haven't had any complaints
yet... I would highly recommend that you test the upgrade for any issues
with Extensions that you have first though as I have run into problems on
occasion with them breaking (having a test box to do this on helps,
otherwise you could duplicate the server files and database and do the
upgrade on that copy of MW if a separate box isn't an option for you).

I do this by placing the following in the LocalSettings.php

$wgReadOnly = 'Currently there is maintenance occuring on the Wiki. This
should be completed by 11:30 Friday at which point updates can be made
again';

If anybody thinks this is a bad idea then I would like to hear from them and
why!

Cheers
Cameron