[Mediawiki-l] Including search results from external sources?

"Peter Valdemar Mørch (Lists)" 4ux6as402 at sneakemail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:45:14 UTC 2009

We're a (small) software development shop that would like to use
MediaWiki as our main internal website.

We have both MediaWiki and non-MediaWiki documentation such as  perl-pod
and javadoc stored in our version control system and a bugzilla
installation. What we'd like is to be able to enter "foo" in the
MediaWiki search field, and find MediaWiki pages with "foo" (like now),
but *also* find "foo" in e.g the javadoc, perldoc, source code and
present a potentially external link such as:
http://server/javadoc.cgi?src=SomeClass.java .

I've been searching for a solution looking all over for this, and I
can't believe we're the first people interested in this.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki/14457 shows no
replies but is basically the same question.

I see three different approaches:

1) Pre-parse the perldoc, javadoc etc. and keep some internal MediaWiki
pages up-to-date with the parsed external sources. Then MediaWiki's
existing search will be able to index and find data in them. But the
syncing is messy and we don't need to edit java code from inside
MediaWiki anyway. Also, original formatting may get lost.

2) Modify MediaWiki's internal search e.g. like Extension:Lucene-search
and somehow squeeze in a link to
http://server/javadoc.cgi?src=SomeClass.java

3) Create a meta search thingy, so when searched for "foo", it calls the
unmodified MediaWiki search and presents *these* results, then presents
results for searching of javadoc etc.

At this point we don't care much about performance. The internal server
is basically unloaded and we expect 10 searches a day tops. But we
insist on the functionality. So e.g. "grep -r 'foo' java" is a viable
option for us to produce the java search results. So for the sake of
argument lets leave performance aside.

But how do we get these external search results integrated into our
MediaWiki "frontend"?

More detail on what we're trying to do here:
http://www.morch.com/2009/02/10/documentation-git-and-mediawiki/

Peter
--
Peter Valdemar Mørch