[Mediawiki-l] Mediawiki Installation

ekompute ekompute at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 20:43:34 UTC 2009

Hi, I am confused as to choosing which options:

   - InnoDB OR MyISAM
   - MySQL 4.1/5.0 binary OR MySQL 4.1/5.0 UTF-8 OR MySQL 4.0
   backwards-compatible UTF-8

I am hosting it in Hostgator, a public web installation. Mediawiki says in
the installation:

InnoDB is best for public web installations, since it has good concurrency
support. MyISAM may be faster in single-user installations. MyISAM databases
tend to get corrupted more often than InnoDB databases.
However, my previous webhost proposed MyISAM. Also Mediawiki says:

In *binary mode*, MediaWiki stores UTF-8 text to the database in binary
fields. This is more efficient than MySQL's UTF-8 mode, and allows you to
use the full range of Unicode characters. In *UTF-8 mode*, MySQL will know
what character set your data is in, and can present and convert it
appropriately, but it won't let you store characters above the Basic
Multilingual Plane<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapping_of_Unicode_character_planes>.

but my previous webhost proposed MySQL 4.0 backwards-compatible UTF-8.

I plan to use InnoDB and MySQL 4.1/5.0 binary. Is this a wise decision?

Regards,

PM Poon