[Mediawiki-l] installation problems

Robert Ingalls ingallsr at cs.rpi.edu
Tue Dec 15 20:20:15 UTC 2009

I am trying to install mediawiki in Windows XP using the quick
installation guide.

I have installed wamp with PHP version 5.3.0
Apache version 2.2.11
and MySQL version 5.1.36

It will not let me set a database user name and password.

Here is the script.
PHP 5.3.0 installed
Found database drivers for: MySQL SQLite
PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
Session save path (c:/wamp/tmp) appears to be valid.
PHP's memory_limit is 128M.
Couldn't find Turck MMCache, eAccelerator, APC or XCache; cannot use
these for object caching.
GNU diff3 not found.
Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled
if you enable uploads.
Installation directory: C:\wamp\www\mediawiki-1.15.1
Script URI path: /mediawiki-1.15.1
Installing MediaWiki with php file extensions
Environment checked. You can install MediaWiki.
Warning: $wgSecretKey key is insecure, generated with mt_rand().
Consider changing it manually.
Generating configuration file...

Database type: MySQL
PHP is linked with old MySQL client libraries. If you are using a
MySQL 4.1 server and have problems connecting to the database, see
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/old-client.html for help.
Attempting to connect to database server as wikiuser...failed due to
authentication errors. Check passwords.

I have gone to the suggested Sun website, but I cannot connect to
mysql from the shell because I have not set a password, and it will
not let me set a password.

Any thoughts.