[Mediawiki-l] changing site wide theme

William van Zwanenberg will at propping-up-the-bar.com
Tue Dec 15 17:56:11 UTC 2009

Please help ...

Having recently installed MediaWiki, I'm trying desperately to make some
site wide changes my Wiki's theme of "skin"  so as to change its overall
look and feel. To be more precise about this, what I'm trying to do is
to install a third part theme called "Nullbook" developed by somebody
called Samat Jain. Details on his theme is available here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:User:SamatJain/myskin.css

Having got his permission, I've simply copied the CSS code contained
therein.

Having explained all that, let me now explain the problems I'm having

1. I'm trying to set the MediaWiki "Myskin" theme as the default theme
for the entire wiki but have no idea how to do this. Do I need to edit
"localSettings.php" and if so, what actual line in the file needs to be
edited and what code do I need to include?

2. My wiki's root (which currently only exists on a development
environment that is not network linked) is: http://localhost/eurowiki/
I should point out however, and this is very important, the standard
installation (which I followed religiously) of version 1.5.1 (or
whatever is the latest version) seems to result in an automatic redirect
being in place such that entering this URL into the location bar of a
web browser actually redirects the page to:
http://localhost/eurowiki/index.php/Main_Page

Anyway the point is this. If I go to:
http://localhost/eurowiki/MediaWiki:Myskin.css whilst logged in as an
Administrator, I get a 403 page generated via Apache. Obviously I need
to edit this page with the CSS code from Nullbook or I need to import it
which I don't want to do because I don't know how long Samat is going to
make it available.

Please help as this is driving me nuts.

I realise this MediaWiki is an open-source project but it does seem that
with every step forward I take and with every problem I resolve, I
encounter another 3.

Many thanks,

Will