[Mediawiki-l] hidden page

CW Dillon cwdillon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 09:35:09 UTC 2009

Bri,
There are a few good extensions for doing what [I think] you want to do, but
you can actually control permissions like this just by defining custom
namespaces and groups in your localsettings.php file.

That said, the extensions for this generally give you an easier way to do
it. The problems with managing permissions is that it quickly becomes an
administrative time-suck.  The complexity of figuring out who gets which
permissions on which page (or category or namespace) can really make things
confusing.   Recommend you look at these:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:User_rights_extensions

And read up on these:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Preventing_access
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:User_rights

Personally, I use this extension, but you'll want to plan some time to work
with the author.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GroupPermissionsManager

The whole experience with user permission management is fraught with peril,
but if you stick to it you'll find many workable solutions.

CW