[Mediawiki-l] blocking drug spam

Jim Laurino wycan.y.jimlaur at dfgh.net
Sat Dec 5 02:37:59 UTC 2009

On 12/04/2009 04:37:00 PM, Helmut Hullen - Hullen at t-online.de wrote:
> Hallo, mediawiki-l,
>
> I have a lot of problems with drug spam on my wiki
>
>         http://arktur.de/Wiki/Spezial:Logbuch/delete
>         http://arktur.de/Wiki/Spezial:Logbuch/block
>
> The spammer (who uses a bundle of IP adresses) first creates a user with
> a name including the drug, and then he creates a user page with a
> contents like

snip...

> I may not block signing up users (does mediawiki allow blocking new
> users?), and therefore I have to look at least daily for new users. The
> drug spammer changes round about every hour the user page, and because
> the user has signed up the spammer can feed the user page from
> everywhere.

snip...

> Is there any chance
> a) to block such spam in a simplier way?
> b) to delete the user pages and the user entries in a simplier way?
>
> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut

It seems to me that it might be less work if you moderated the creation of new accounts. I recently saw an extension, though I have not used it, that requires approval by an authorized person before a new account is created.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount

If you reviewed requests at least once a day, the same frequency you are removing spam accounts now, I think the delay would not be a great inconvenience to new users. I think moderation would drive the spammers away; it would certainly stop them from creating user names with the drug name embedded.

Let us know how you resolve the problem.

Good Luck,

Jim