[Mediawiki-l] What is the ideal width for a Mediawiki skin?

Paul C Lustgarten plus at research.att.com
Fri Aug 14 14:00:54 UTC 2009

Poon,

I'll second Katharina's recommendation to leave your banner positioned
and (non-) colored, as it is.

What prompted me to go look at your site, though, was Katharina's
comment about the potential difficulty someone who is color-blind (as
we call it, at least here in the U.S.) might have with your red menu
items against the green background.  Being color-blind myself, I
thought it would be interesting to see an example where it matters.

So I pulled up your site, and spent a minute or two hunting around the
page trying to find out what she was referring to, and thinking you
must have changed it already, since I couldn't find anything like that.

Then I saw your followup, which suggested you hadn't (yet) changed it,
looked at the page again ..... oooohhh, those funny gaps in the menus
there below the "Log in" line -  I see now, there's shimmery red text
hiding there! :-)  So yes, very effectively near invisible!

And kudos to Katharina for thinking of us color blind folks - it's an
issue that doesn't seem to get a lot of, um, visibility :-)

	Paul

On Aug 14, 2009, at 2:54 AM, Katharina Wolkwitz wrote:

> Hi Poon,
>
> I like the banner the way it is - on the left side of the screen.
> Zooming it to
> fill the whole screen-width would "blow it up" too much.
>
> But I've got a visibility problem with your menu-bar. The red menu-
> items are
> very hard to see on the dark green background. I guess people with
> limited sight
> or those with red green (colour) deficiency might have problems
> seeing those
> items at all.
>
> Best wishes
> Katharina
>

> Ekompute .info schrieb am 13.08.2009 20:47:
>> Hi Mike, my website is http://dummipedia.org
>>
>> I am referring to the topmost row.
>>
>> Regards,
>> PM Poon