[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki Hacks: Troubleshooting

Taja Anand taja.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 02:16:32 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm an enthusiast in MediaWiki Development and I'm having some troubles
starting off. I have been administering MediaWiki installation on my website
for quite some time
but for the past 4 days I'm struggling to get a hack. Please help me out.

I've read the material given in the Manual, How to Become a MediaWiki
Hacker, how to Debug and all the other relevant pages related to
development.

Till now, I've tried the following, but the wiki on my localhost functions
as though no changes have taken place (I've not tried all this on my website
yet) :

1) Applied the first hack given on
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Customizing_edit_toolbar [not even the table
icon appears]
2) Set the predicate (preg_match) to zero in Parser.php (689) [it still
parses it as a table]
3) removed all the content of index.php !! [it runs]

and a lot of things were tried out, but no success. However, wiki does
respond when I switch off the MySql service or move a file (such as
WebStart.php).

I've not had any progress due to this unexpectedly weird stuff going on.
Please give a hint or a pointer in the right direction.

Thanks
Taja