[Mediawiki-l] importImages.php out of memory (jailshell)?

Benjamin Lees emufarmers at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 18:20:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Daniel Barrett <danb at vistaprint.com> wrote:

> I threw an "echo phpinfo()" into the importImages.php script and got:
>
> memory_limit => 64M => 32M
>
> So I wonder if there's another memory limit imposed by jailshell along the
> lines of "ulimit"?  ulimit -a says:
>
> core file size          (blocks, -c) 200000
> data seg size           (kbytes, -d) 200000
> scheduling priority             (-e) 0
> file size               (blocks, -f) unlimited
> pending signals                 (-i) 73728
> max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
> max memory size         (kbytes, -m) 200000
> open files                      (-n) 100
> pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
> POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
> real-time priority              (-r) 0
> stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
> cpu time               (seconds, -t) unlimited
> max user processes              (-u) 20
> virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) 200000
> file locks                      (-x) unlimited
>
> DanB

I should have caught this before, but at least on the platforms that I've
used, PHP's out of memory errors are of the form "Allowed memory size of x
bytes exhausted", not "Out of memory"; this probably indicates that you're
not hitting PHP's memory limit, but actually are running out of memory
(presumably because it's limited at a different level by jailshell).  This
is the sort of thing you really do have to go to your host to get fixed,
since a jailshell is going to have limits that (if it's secure!) can't be
circumvented from within the shell.