[Mediawiki-l] wiki versus Word

Benjamin Horst bhorst at mac.com
Tue Apr 28 16:46:22 UTC 2009

Yes, I've experienced this many times. Maybe with every wiki I've set
up...

People don't recognize that this short term convenience eliminates
many of the advantages of a wiki in the first place, but after enough
experience they will learn.

In the meantime, you are doing the right thing. You need to be firm to
establish the precedent of best practices, especially with a new wiki.

You may have to convert some docs into wiki pages yourself, for now.
Open the word doc in OpenOffice, and then Export it in MediaWiki text
format. Then you can copy the text, which will be in the correct
markup syntax, and paste it into the text field of the wiki's edit page.

You can go one better and find the OpenOffice extension that allows
you to configure your wiki and then save pages directly into it from
within OpenOffice, and perhaps teach this practice to your users over
time...

Ben

Sent from my iPhone