[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki Install : configuration

michael donatz michael.donatz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 10:03:23 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am trying to install MediaWiki for our website on our university server.
They are running PHP 5.2.6 and it appears that everything else meets the
requirements listed here http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Installation

I successfully copied and extracted the files to our directory and renamed
the folder mw.  Afterwards I ran "chmod a+w config" and doubled checked that
it now has the correct permissions.

Next I go to mw/config/index.php and get the following :

  MediaWiki 1.14.0 Installation Can't write config file, aborting

In order to configure the wiki you have to make the config subdirectory
writable by the web server. Once configuration is done you'll move the
created LocalSettings.php to the parent directory, and for added safety you
can then remove the config subdirectory entirely.

To make the directory writable on a Unix/Linux system:

	cd */path/to/wiki*
	chmod a+w config

Afterwards retry to start the
setup<http://oregonstate.edu/groups/mathclub/mw/config/index.php>
.

Am I overlooking an obvious step? Or what do I need from my server admins to
make this work?

Thanks for your time!

-Michael