[Mediawiki-l] [WikiEN-l] Citizendium vs. Wikipedia

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 17:40:46 UTC 2009

[cc'ed to mediawiki-l]
[from wikien-l - discussion of git-backed MediaWiki]

2009/4/23 Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>:

> As it happens, I've thought about this before and have a little
> expertise in the issue. I'm one of the developers of a wiki called
> Gitit - http://github.com/jgm/gitit/tree/master - written in Haskell.
> The most interesting thing about Gitit, besides its ability to export
> articles (written in Markdown or ReST) in various formats such as HTML
> or PDFs or LaTeX, is that it uses a library called 'filestore'  -
> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/filestore -
> to access and change articles.

While the idea of putting lumps of PHP into an otherwise Haskell
project is really quite horrifying, the parser that (literally)
defines MediaWiki wikitext could to some degree be made into a module
for use elsewhere. I understand it's not entirely cleanly separated
out in the MediaWiki codebase, but if you could do that you'd at least
have something that quite definitely processed MediaWiki wikitext
precisely as MediaWiki does.

This might be better for mediawiki-l ...

- d.