[Mediawiki-l] moving wiki "root"?

Paul C Lustgarten plus at research.att.com
Wed Apr 22 14:32:26 UTC 2009

Hi, Nina, and welcome to the list.  This is one of my first posts, too!

At the risk of being politically incorrect, I fully share your
preference for short & simple URLs on my wikis.  I've been using them
on two wikis; one in light-duty production use for more than a year,
and the other being my personal-use development wiki (both on a
private corporate intranet).  The particular method I've used is the
one documented here:

	http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Short_URL#URL_like_-_example.com.2FPage_title

The one precondition for that, and the rest of what I have to offer,
is that you have full administrative access to (or at least a friendly
administrator of) your DNS system, your Apache server config, and of
course the wiki config itself.  I'm hoping those are fair assumptions
for an "academic library environment" (or most intranet settings) like
you have.

One step that I HIGHLY recommend, and which resolves many of the
objections otherwise raised against this approach, is that you make
your wiki live in a "virtual domain", so that the domain name is, by
definition, the name for your wiki service alone (and NOT the name of
a host, from which you might one day want to offer other (non-wiki)
services).   So, if you were operating a "New Media" wiki for your
organization running on the "library.myorg.org" machine (maybe on the
impact of new media on the very concept of a library), you might set
aside a "CNAME" in your DNS of "new-media.myorg.org", and configure
your Apache server running on "library.myorg.org" to serve a "virtual
server" identified by that CNAME.  (The CNAME can be most anything you
like, as long as it doesn't collide with any other name already in
use.)  Then, even if you one day discover you need to move your wiki
to some other machine, you have carefully and completely insulated it
from the name of the underlying host machine (well, as long as your
move keeps the wiki somewhere under the "myorg.org" domain).  Then,
when you have your "Glossary" page, the URL for it will be simply "new-
media.myorg.org/Glossary" ... sweet!

Oh, and as for converting a wiki that already has content, I had to do
just that with my development installation (which I picked up from
another guy after we'd already been putting content on it for a
while).  Since the method described in the link above is just a set of
rewrite rules, applied by Apache and by the wiki itself, I didn't
actually have to *move* any of the content at all (nor images or
extensions or anything) - everything within the wiki just continued to
work, under the new names.  (In fact, moving any of those files will
likely break things!)  Of course, any links stored *external* to the
wiki, like in someone's bookmarks folder, would all have to be
updated.  With a (relatively) young wiki, that will hopefully not be a
problem.

The only constraint I've noticed in operating my wikis this way is
that it doesn't work to use certain special characters in a page or
section title.  I *think* this might be the same problem as is
documented here:

	http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Short_URL#Ampersand_.28.26.29_problem

Frankly, though, that hasn't been enough of a nuisance for me to even
diagnose it further ... I just avoid funny characters in my titles. :-)

Anyway, good luck, and I hope that helps.  Let us know how it works
for you.

	Paul