[Mediawiki-l] Wiki Farm with Shared tables on one wiki

Paul Wakfer paul at morelife.org
Sun Apr 19 18:56:25 UTC 2009

> Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 15:07:42 +0200
> From: Platonides <Platonides at gmail.com>
>
> Paul Wakfer wrote:
>
>> To satisfy this concern (about the JOIN command - which I really need to
>> do before I start trying to make the necessary coding changes), I would
>> really like to know if there is a mediawiki installation which currently
>> used shared tables on one dd with the other tables of at least one of
>> the wikis using this shared table being on an entirely separate db.
>>
>> --Paul
>>

> Mysql allows JOINing tables from different dbs.

Thanks a lot. I am quite new to mysql and it was not clear to me, from a
quick read, that this would be so and how it would work.
> The problem I see with your setup is that I don't think you can join
> them if the user is not able to read both tables.

At this point I don't see why I cannot put in an extra configuration
setting LocalSettings.php, for a shared db username (say
$wgSharedDBuser) and then change the mediawiki db accessing code to use
it, rather than the wiki's specified db username ($wgDBuser) whenever
the shared tables are accessed. At least, that is what I plan to try.
While I am at it I also plan to create configuration settings
$wgSharedDBserver and $wgSharedDBpassword to make it more complete and
flexible to situations. It would be nice if at some time in the future
this change would become a planned and implemented modification to the
standard mediawiki software to increase its site configuration flexibility.

--Paul Wakfer