[Mediawiki-l] Google Maps with Basic Authentication

Henry Hartley henry at dotrose.com
Fri Apr 10 13:26:30 UTC 2009

I've installed the Google Maps extension and added my API Key to
LocalSettings.php but I'm not getting any maps and I am getting a
Javascript error. I don't know if this is the reason but one possibility
is that it's because the site uses basic authentication. I know the
Google API site says it only works on sites that are "free to
consumers." My site isn't a business and is "free" as in beer to its
users. It's just not freely available to the world because some of the
information is not public. It's basically a family site (totally
non-commercial) were my extended family shares stories and reminiscences
and we'd rather it not be scooped up by the search engines. Yes, we're
hoping to take advantage of Google without them being able to index the
site and if that's unreasonable, then so be it.

On the other hand, the side doesn't have trade secrets or "account
information" that would cost us if it got out so we didn't bother with
SSL. It's just a simple MediaWiki site with basic (plain-text)
authentication. Has anyone gotten this extension working with basic
auth? When I turned off authentication it still failed so I'm not really
sure that's the problem.

The Javascript error I'm getting is "unterminated string literal" on the
line that ends:

     overlay.maxContent) { overlay.openInfoWindowHtml('‹/p›

It appears that the next line has the rest of the string literal that
starts on the end of that line, so there isn't an obvious problem there.

Any ideas?

This is version 0.9.4 of the extension and version 1.13.3 of MediaWiki
running on CentOS 5 with PHP 5.1.6. I'm viewing the site in Firefox
3.0.8 on Windows.

--
Henry