[Mediawiki-l] Illegal mix of collations error

AUSTIN RICHARD JEREM tauhou at naver.com
Mon Sep 29 19:22:08 UTC 2008

Hi
there!
I'm
sure this kind of problem has arisen before, but I
couldn't find any clear solutions in the archives or on google.
On
a fresh installation of MW1.13.1 using default MySQL 4.1/5.0 character
input, I'm having trouble creating a user with a name in Korean
characters, and receive the following error:
database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in
the software. The last attempted database query was:
(SQL
query hidden)
from
within function "Database::safeQuery".
MySQL returned error "1267:
Illegal mix of collations (latin1_bin,IMPLICIT) and
(utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '=' (localhost)".
Php.ini
has the default charset settings, and mysql gives the following
status report:
mysql
 Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.51a, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using
readline 5.2
Connection
id: xxxx
Current
database:
Current
user: xxxx at xxxxxxxxx
SSL:
 Not in use
Current
pager: stdout
Using
outfile: ''
Using
delimiter: ;
Server
version: 5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.1 (Ubuntu)
Protocol
version: 10
Connection:
 Localhost via UNIX socket
Server
characterset: latin1
Db
 characterset: latin1
Client
characterset: latin1
Conn.
 characterset: latin1
UNIX
socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
Uptime:
don't know much about the way mysql handles encoding, but the site
I'm working on will need strong multilingual support, so I would
prefer to use Mediawiki's recommended setup to mysql's native utf-8
support. I would appreciate it if anyone has any tips on getting this working better.
Richard
Austin