[Mediawiki-l] Possible to rollback entire site?

pwnedd keith.hughitt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 13:12:50 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I am new to MediaWiki, and was wondering if anyone might be able to help
figure out the best way to deal with a problem.

I recently discovered that the Wiki I'm hosting has been spammed a large
amount over the last month. I would like to remove all of the spam, and
require email authentication, or even better would be admin permission for a
user to edit pages hence forth. First though I need to figure out how to
remove the existing spam.

Since the wiki is very low volume, there have been almost no changes over
the past month, other than spam. The simplest method it would seem then
would be to do a site roll-back for one month.

Is this possible?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get rid of spam
without having to delete each page and block each user manually?

Finally, http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:User_rights suggested a method
to require all users to confirm their email. Is there any way to go one step
further and require an admin approve the email?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been working through the
MediaWiki docs, but they are pretty extensive, and so far I haven't had any
luck.

Thanks!
Keith