[Mediawiki-l] Setting up WikiFamily

Emufarmers Sangly emufarmers at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 05:41:25 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 5:12 AM, Samuel Richardson <sam at richardson.co.nz>wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I've read through the MediaWiki WikiFamily article a couple of times but
> I'm
> having trouble applying it to my own setup.
>
> I currently run about 4 wikis that I would like to share the MediaWiki
> install code between. Each Wiki is currently contained in its own folder,
> runs under its own domain name and has its own database.
>
> Would checking out the latest version of MediaWiki from SVN then replacing
> each of the folders in the base MediaWiki install (excluding the Images
> folder) with symlinks be enough? What do I do about some of the rogue php
> files that living the root of the MediaWiki folder? (img_auth.php,
> StartProfiler.php) etc? Symlink those as well?
>
> I want to get my setup to a stage that updating all the mediawiki installs
> only requires me to run an SVN update in one place.

The "ultimate minimalist solution," as described in the wiki family article,
has you just symlink the wiki directories of each site to the shared files:
ln -s /home/user/public_html/example1.com/w /home/user/public_html/shared/w
ln -s /home/user/public_html/example2.com/w /home/user/public_html/shared/w
ln -s /home/user/public_html/example3.com/w /home/user/public_html/shared/w
ln -s /home/user/public_html/example4.com/w /home/user/public_html/shared/w
Then you would truly only need to update the files in one place.  You might
still need to run update.php 4 times, though, and that inconvenience alone
might make another method better.  You would also need to alias the images
directories to avoid the issues Michael is talking about:
In example1.com's vhost:
Alias /w/images /home/user/images1
In example2.com's vhost:
Alias /w/images /home/user/images2
and so on.

I've used this method and it does work, though maybe it's overkill. :)