[Mediawiki-l] Setting up WikiFamily

Samuel Richardson sam at richardson.co.nz
Sat Sep 20 09:12:09 UTC 2008

Hello List,

I've read through the MediaWiki WikiFamily article a couple of times but I'm
having trouble applying it to my own setup.

I currently run about 4 wikis that I would like to share the MediaWiki
install code between. Each Wiki is currently contained in its own folder,
runs under its own domain name and has its own database.

Would checking out the latest version of MediaWiki from SVN then replacing
each of the folders in the base MediaWiki install (excluding the Images
folder) with symlinks be enough? What do I do about some of the rogue php
files that living the root of the MediaWiki folder? (img_auth.php,
StartProfiler.php) etc? Symlink those as well?

I want to get my setup to a stage that updating all the mediawiki installs
only requires me to run an SVN update in one place.

Thanks,

Samuel Richardson
Freelance Web Developer
www.richardson.co.nz | 0405 472 748