[Mediawiki-l] Upgrading to 1.13 from 1.4

Raul B ö hm raul.boehm at bockwurst-filmkontor.de
Wed Sep 10 13:03:40 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have done an update from MW 1.3.x to 1.11 a few month ago. (It was a hard
trip ...) This is how it work for me (step by step and all from command
line):

* Update to 1.4.15 without problems, change LocalSettings.php according to
help:

from
$wgStylePath        = "$wgScriptPath/stylesheets";
$wgStyleDirectory   = "$IP/stylesheets";
$wgLogo             = "$wgStylePath/images/wiki.png";

to this:
$wgStylePath        = "$wgScriptPath/skins";
$wgStyleDirectory   = "$IP/skins";
$wgLogo             = "$wgStylePath/common/images/wiki.png";

* No the tricky part: To update from 1.4.15 to 1.5.8 I did this:

** first run Upgrade1_5.php. Should convert database from latin to utf-8,
but only links and special pages are converted, the content of articels are
still latin.
** Dump the database with latin1, open it with an editor (e.g.
TextWrangler), save it as UTF-8. Find and replace special characters (it was
german - äöüÄÖÜß, dash, accents ... I missed a few, so we had to change them
manually in the articel later ...)
** Import database as UTF-8
** run update.php
** change LocalSettings.php: wgDisableUploads has been replaced with
$wgEnableUploads

* Then it went on with no problems:
** Update to 1.6.10
** Update to 1.11.1