[Mediawiki-l] Custom Namespace Categories

Dr JFBurté burtejf at orange.fr
Tue Sep 9 12:22:38 UTC 2008

> The ideabehind having one wiki and multiple namespaces is that a user
> can search multiple languages and have a common resource in the main
> namespace.

Hi John,
I understand for a particular namespace for each language, because of the
variant between thus
But the use of the Category Namespace is different : not to automatically
show all the pages existing but to build **ONE/YOUR** category tree (with
childs and parents for each level = you can put several
[[Category:Category(n)]] on each page) for your whole site (and undistincly
his whole namespaces) with the pages YOU decide to "tag", each page with one
or several[[Category:TheCategoryThisPageBelongs]].

So the visitor can 1°)crawl though the pages themselves, or 2°) through the
great and unique Category tree, with branches and subbranches for each
purpose.
So this tree will contain an alternative way of dysplaying the info = what
you decide and how you decide ... a first branch for the administration
tools, with a child branch for the template of the site, another great
branch for langages, and somes child for each bunch of specific langage
pages.

See for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_administration
You'll see inthere : the subcategories (child), the page of the category,
the parent (click on the bottom link of that page <Contents>) and you can
have
Replace the tree for administration tools with what you need for making your
language pages easier to navigate by the visitor
and keep in mind you must "tag" every page that should take place in the
Category tree

@+ de jfb "0.02$"