[Mediawiki-l] Trunk Update.php fails on Windows MySQL "ALTER" - Account Privileges

Jack D. Pond jack.pond at psitex.com
Mon Sep 8 14:33:30 UTC 2008

I know, I know, no flurry of posts advising switch to LAMP.  I'm stuck with
WIMP (Windows, IIS, . . .) at least for now.

When using an db administrative account other than 'root',  for connecting
to MySQL running under Windows Server Platform, update consistently fails
due to insufficient account privileges, specifically, "ALTER" privileges.  I
have gone into MySQL and changed the db administrator user  privileges to
have everything, then rebooted the machine, but that doesn't work either.

Workaround is to change $wgDBadminuser to 'root', run the updates, then
change back.  I have never been comfortable with leaving the password
($wgDBadminpassword)  to 'root' in a text file even if only temporarily, and
doing this for 20 or so wikis is cumbersome, so I'm not highly enamored of
this solution.

Before I document this workaround on mediawiki, am I doing something stupid
and obvious (and if so, advice on solution is solicited) or is this just
another one of the funky little reasons to switch to LAMP?

Jack D. Pond
CIO, Montgomery County, PA

"Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I
have six children and no theories." -- John Wilmot,(1647-1680)