[Mediawiki-l] Separate rights for article and discussion pages?

Sullivan, James (NIH/CIT) [C] sullivan at mail.nih.gov
Wed Oct 29 18:12:36 UTC 2008

I have a client who would like to have their mediawiki configured so that articles could be read but not edited, but the discussion pages could be both read and edited.

I have checked out the available extensions and I could probably do this with the Namespace extension within a defined namespace, but they want this throughout the wiki especially the Main namespace.  Their idea is to have a small group of people manage the content of articles (via an editors group with edit permissions) while regular users will have read permission for articles and edit permission for the article's discussion pages.

Can anyone point me to a good solution if one exists?

Thanks in advance,
-Jim