[Mediawiki-l] create accounts?

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 13:03:58 UTC 2008

On 10/29/08, André Meunier <ameunier at ulg.ac.be> wrote:
> I've disabled the createaccount option, using the line
> "$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;" within the
> LocalSettings.php file, yet I've managed to create an account by going
> to the 'Create account' page on the login page.
>
> Is that normal?

Well if you already have an account you can *procreate* other accounts
(as sock-puppets or accounts to give to other people). To stop this
you can use:

$wgGroupPermissions['user']['createaccount'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['createaccount'] = false;
// etc. etc.

You can double-check at [[Special:Listgrouprights]] and make sure no
other groups still have the privilege "create new user accounts" or
more likely "créer de nouveaux comptes utilisateur".

—C.W.