[Mediawiki-l] Using export/import instead of upgrading

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Sat Oct 25 19:08:03 UTC 2008

> From: Daniel Friesen <dan_the_man at telus.net>
>
> People complain about issues cause they don't follow instructions...

(Much good advice about how to do incremental upgrades clipped...)

> Remember Wikipedia? Wikimedia runs off MediaWiki and is being
> constantly
> upgraded. If the upgrade process wasn't handled right then you'd see
> Wikipedia broken all the time.

I believe the OP suggested export/import because they had fallen way
behind, and lacked confidence in an upgrade process that is generally
designed for Wikipedia's needs of strictly sequential incremental
upgrades.

I am in the same situation, running 1.3. Short of upgrading to 1.4,
then 1.5, then 1.6... I don't believe this posting really addresses
strategies for someone who is way behind to "catch up." The further
you are behind, the more likely something will break, no matter how
carefully one follows the instructions for upgrading from 1.13.1 to
1.13.2.

Anyone have any good strategies going from 1.3 to current? I'm
planning on making a complete copy, accessed from a new URL, and
trying the upgrade on that. But I'm doubtful that such an upgrade will
be fruitful.

:::: Number of developed nations besides the US lacking universal
health insurance coverage: 0
:::: Rank of US among countries that spend the most as a percentage of
GDP on health care: 1
::::     -- Harper's Index
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99-6313-12>