[Mediawiki-l] Using export/import instead of upgrading

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Sat Oct 25 13:07:00 UTC 2008

Frames Project wrote:
> Le samedi 25 octobre 2008 à 01:26 +1100, Tim Starling a écrit :
>> Frames Project wrote:
>>> Is it possible to ask the software team to write an Export and Import
>>> functionnality including images and users data ? This could avoid all
>>> the upgrading problems?
>> What problems?
>>
>> -- Tim Starling
>
> practically everyday on this list someone is complaining of errors in
> upgrading... so I never dare to do it !

Most people are just asking how to upgrade when the answer is already in
the manual.

The actual problems are mostly related to using the new version, not
converting to it. Those problems would be the same regardless of the
upgrade method.

> Anyway, the point is that instead of upgrading the code an alternative
> could be to reinstall the code and copy the pages to the new code,
> especially if the databases management has been modified in the new
> versions.

If we introduced a second method, we'd triple our problems, because the
new one would be twice as buggy as the old one.

-- Tim Starling