[Mediawiki-l] Convert Characters URL

snapmikey snapmikey at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 23:21:22 UTC 2008

Hi Peter,

>>You're looking for http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL, I
>>believe. This allows you to use a similar syntax for the URL as
>>Wikipedia, e.g.
>>http://www.mwusers.com/wiki/Photo_optimize_(Fireworks).

Above, the link is not my site. I was just using an example.

I have done "short URL" a year ago for gets rid of index.php in URL. Here is where I put RewriteRule in htaccess:

# Clean URLs - this must fall after other rewrites
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php?title=$1 [PT,L,QSA]

The result I get: http://www.example.com/Main_Page

When I was reading farther in Manual:Short_URL and I wondered about RewriteRule. I don't know. Is that how Wikipedia using RewriteRule in htaccess to escaped characters in URL? Please, what are the codes?

Thanks, Mikey3D