[Mediawiki-l] Convert Characters URL

snapmikey snapmikey at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 17:59:43 UTC 2008

Platonides

>>Which produce
>>class="mw-redirect">Nutley (NJ)</a></p>

Huh? Redirect has nothing to do with to make percent-encoding to absolute URL. Am I right?

>>Browser difference?

There is no difference in browsers. I have testing Firefox, Opera and IE. So the URL has nothing to do with browsers difference.

>>Can be done, you may screw visitors with some user-agents by doing so.

Huh? What are you talking about? I want absolute URL, not percent-encoding URL. Have you ever seen percent-encoding in the <h1 class="firstHeading">Photo optimizer (Fireworks)</h1>? Nope, but only URL. That is not good. It has to be standard absolute URL Here is an example:

In Wikipedia, put "Photo optimize (Fireworks)" without quotes in the search field and you get:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=Photo+optimize+%28Fireworks%29&go=Go

Do you see funny characters above the URL? Yes! Then click the link "You searched for Photo optimize (Fireworks)" from Search results and you get:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo_optimize_(Fireworks)

Do you see funny characters above the URL? Nope!

It's impossible that we, who are using MediaWiki software, get absolute URL like Wikipedia do. You don't believe it. Well, here is an example:

In MWusers, put "Photo optimize (Fireworks)" without quotes in the search field and you get:

http://www.mwusers.com/wiki/index.php?search=Photo+optimize+%28Fireworks%29&go=Go

Do you see funny characters above the URL? Yes! Then click the link "You searched for Photo optimize (Fireworks)" from Search results and you get:

http://www.mwusers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Photo_optimize_%28Fireworks%29&action=edit&redlink=1

Do you see funny characters above the URL? Yes! Then after created the article, you gets:

http://www.mwusers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Photo_optimize_%28Fireworks%29

Do you see funny characters above the URL? Yes!

No matter what you do, you will never get absolute URL with this characters "*", " ' ", "(", ")", ";", "@", "&", "=", "+", "$", ",", "?", "%" and " " ".

How come I could do this character "/", "-", "." and ":" of URL but not above?

What is the solution?

Thanks, Mikey3D