[Mediawiki-l] Problems with texvc when migrating to latest MediaWiki version

marco marco at math.utoronto.ca
Fri Oct 10 15:27:46 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm currently trying to migrate the following wiki:

   http://tosio.math.utoronto.ca/pdewiki/

From MediaWiki-1.6.8/MySQL-4.1.20 to MediaWiki-1.13.2/MySQL-5.0.45
under Red Hat EL5. I've managed to get the new setup to work
(including math parsing), but the database conversion (doing
"php update.php") isn't fully functional.

After migrating the database (but before turning on the math parsing by
setting $wgUseTeX and $wgEnableUploads) all works OK, and I can see the
contents of the wiki fine except for the math. As soon as I turn on the
math parser I get this error:

   A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug
   in the software. The last attempted database query was:

       (SQL query hidden)

   from within function "MathRenderer::_recall". MySQL returned error
   "1267: Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and
   (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '=' (localhost)".

This is what I would expect to see (from the old wiki):

   http://tosio.math.utoronto.ca/pdewiki/index.php/TorontoPDESeminar

Note that any math I write on the new wiki works fine, it's just the
math I import from the previous database which has this problem.

A little debugging of the Math.php module shows that the parser dies
when running the following line:

 $rpage = $dbr->selectRow( 'math',
         array( 'math_outputhash','math_html_conservativeness','math_html','math_mathml' ),
         array( 'math_inputhash' => $dbr->encodeBlob(pack("H32", $this->md5))), # Binary packed, not hex
         $fname
 );

It seems thus that "update.php" is not fully updating the math-related
section of the databse.

Here is the database I am trying to migrate:

   http://www.reimeika.ca/marco/data/pdewikidb.gz

which I import by running:

   gunzip < pdewikidb.gz | mysql -p pdewikidb

and then "php update.php".

Any help regarding this problem would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Marco

--
Marco De la Cruz-Heredia               Department of Mathematics
Systems Administrator                  University of Toronto