[Mediawiki-l] Who do you use for Hosting?

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Fri Nov 28 01:55:25 UTC 2008

> From: "Matt Browne" <matt at matthewbrowne.com>
>
> Just out of curiosity. Who do people use for hosting their Mediawiki
> sites?

I self-host. It's not for everyone, but if you have basic sysadmin
skills and a high-speed connection with a static IP, it's a way to
pretty much have complete control.

I've been burned by hosting companies in the past. (What do you mean,
you changed from PHP 3 to PHP 4 without telling anyone? :-) So I just
really prefer to do it myself. Plus, since the host is on my LAN, I
can easily mount the server on my file system and treat it like a
local file system.

:::: "Primitive skills" are trivial to learn, compared to getting
along with each other! It's not hard to make a stone axe -- what's
hard is not using it on your neighbor! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, http://www.EcoReality.org ::::