[Mediawiki-l] Who do you use for Hosting?

Momma mommahatesspam at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 17:34:20 UTC 2008

Here's how I look at it:

SHARED SERVER (Cheapest): You buy one or more accounts from an ISP to host
your domain(s).  There may be 500 other user accounts on that same machine.
You have no root access and have resource limits like total disk space,
monthly bandwidth, number of databases, email accts, ftp accts, etc...

DEDICATED SERVER (most expensive): You lease an entire machine from a
service provider.  For an unmanaged system (what I have), the provider puts
it online with the software you order and gives you the keys. You have
complete root access to the machine and no one else has access it to unless
you so permit.  You are completely responsible for managing the server.

VIRTUAL SERVER (middle tier cost):  Your website is very  popular and you
are either exceeding your disk or bandwidth allocation, or your ISP is going
to kick you off because you are using too much CPU and hurting his other 499
users.  A dedicated server is too expensive or complicated for you to manage
-- or maybe more power than you need.  The next viable option is a VIRTUAL
SERVER.  Instead of there being 500 indiv. user accounts on the machine,
there may be 10 total virtual servers.  To you, it appears that you have a
dedicated server and have much of the control as if you owned the whole
machine.  You can host as many domains, or use as many resources, as your
account allows.  The actual root-type capabilities depends upon the virtual
server software being used.  I believe Virtuoso is a popular package.  Find
an ISP that provides virtual servers and see what system they provide and
google for more info on capabilities.