[Mediawiki-l] status of permissions

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Sat Nov 15 17:53:19 UTC 2008

> From: Iv Ray <pobox at verysmall.org>
>
> Right, there are many reason for a good software design, and a good
> design will make implementing permissions (and other features) easier.

This may raise some hackles.

Although there is always room for improvement, it can be argued that
MediaWiki *is* a good design for what it was designed for!

It's just that limiting visibility was not and is not important to the
designers. One should not design for things that are not specified nor
desired. That would be a bad design! :-)

Gotta go now and put a sail on my Porche. I just can't believe those
arrogant German engineers, making it so hard to attach a sail to their
car! Must be poor design...

I agree with several here who said that two or more wikis is the way
to go. When the page gets mature enough to share, a simple export/
import script can make these perfected words of wisdom available to
the unwashed masses. Good designs for anarchy and consensus tend to
make poor designs for hierarchy and control.

:::: Political language -- and with variations this is true of all
political parties, from Conservatives to Anarchists -- is designed to
make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an
appearance of solidity to pure wind. -- George Orwell ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::