[Mediawiki-l] Search form and enter key

A Chan chanamy1 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 12 19:20:54 UTC 2008

Our users prefer to have fulltext search behavior as the default, rather than the "Go" button search behavior.  So I've customized our MediaWiki 1.4.5 instance to remove the "Go" button.  (I removed the <input> tag for the "Go" button in skin.php.)

Now the search behavior varies, depending on the browser.  If I type a search term and hit the 'enter' key:

Firefox - performs fulltext search, showing results page with matching page titles and then matching article text
Internet Explorer - performs search as if 'Go' button was pressed, jumps to page with matching title

Has anyone else seen this behavior, and how can I correct it?

Thank you,
-amy