[Mediawiki-l] problems with 'Variables' extension

Derrick Farnell derrick.farnell at gmail.com
Sat May 31 19:40:24 UTC 2008

Hi

I've tried posting about this problem on the extension's talk page, but to
no avail.

I'm using the 'Variables' extension:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Variables

which creates the variable {{CURRENTUSER}}.

When I simply insert all of the code provided into LocalSettings.php, it
works fine. However, if, as suggested, I instead only insert the line:

require_once( "$IP/extensions/MyVariables/MyVariables.php" );

at the bottom of the LocalSettings.php file, and place the code in the file
'MyVariables.php' in the folder 'MyVariables' in the folder 'extensions',
then it doesn't work - the layout of the wiki pages just becomes a bit
broken-up and there are several lines of code superimposed along the top of
every page.

I've double-checked every step of the process and can't find any errors.

Can anyone see why the extension would work the first way but not the
second?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Derrick