[Mediawiki-l] Installation problems 1.12.0, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Daniel Barrett danb at VistaPrint.com
Fri May 30 05:18:06 UTC 2008

Tried 1.13 alpha and had exactly the same problem.

One weirdness: when I set the mysql host to "localhost", the web installer prints "Connection failed" in red.  So I changed it to my host's fully qualified domain name, which worked.  "mysql -p -u root" works fine from the command line.

DanB

From: Daniel Barrett
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 1:13 AM
To: 'MediaWiki announcements and site admin list'
Subject: Installation problems 1.12.0, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

I'm having problems installing MediaWiki 1.12.0 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard).  The installation gets as far as "Granting user permissions to wikiuser on wikidb...success.", and then it just stops.  It does create the database tables.

PHP 5.2.5 installed
Found database drivers for: MySQL
PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
Warning: A value for session.save_path has not been set in PHP.ini. If the default value causes problems with saving session data, set it to a valid path which is read/write/execute for the user your web server is running under.
PHP's memory_limit is 128M.
Couldn't find Turck MMCache, eAccelerator, APC or XCache; cannot use these for object caching.
Found GNU diff3: /usr/bin/diff3.
Couldn't find GD library or ImageMagick; image thumbnailing disabled.
Installation directory: /Library/WebServer/Documents/w
Script URI path: /w
Installing MediaWiki with php file extensions
Environment checked. You can install MediaWiki.
Generating configuration file...
Database type: MySQL
Attempting to connect to database server as root...success.
Connected to 5.0.51b
Attempting to create database...
Created database wikidb
Creating tables... done.
Initializing statistics...
Granting user permissions to wikiuser on wikidb...success.

Looking at config/index.php, I believe the next step should be creating the sysop account, and sure enough, the "user" table is empty so this step did not succeed; nor did it print any error message. It seems to be dying on the call to $u->idForName() in that section.

   else if ( 0 == $u->idForName() ) { ...

Any ideas what I should try next?

Thanks,
DanB